I love hummus.
In fact, there has never really been a hummus that I have not liked…and I have tried a lot of them. From roasted red pepper, to sundried tomato, to jalapeno, I have tasted all the flavors and stand by each and every one. Then, one day while scrolling through Pinterest, I saw the Mecca of all the hummus concoctions: LOADED HUMMUS. That’s right kids. There is such a thing as loaded hummus and the moment I laid eyes on it, I knew I had to make it.
Loaded hummus is simply a plate of hummus with any and all the toppings your heart desires. It’s pretty much a perfect dish for me as it lets me toss the strict rules of a recipe out the window and just toss together whatever I have in the kitchen (my preferred way of cooking).
With all the hummus I have eaten, I can say that I had yet to start making my own which is downright ludicrous. Not only does making your own hummus save you money, but it also lets you have full control of the ingredients. So, I figured this would be the perfect opportunity for me to test the hummus making waters.
For this recipe, I decided to go with a classic garlic hummus and keep all the zest to the toppings. I used the hummus recipe from Pick Up Limes as a base which I was really happy with. However, there are lots of recipes out there to choose from, including some oil free options as well. For toppings, I decided to add crispy buffalo chickpeas (my fav!) along with some olives and capers for an extra salty bite. These topped with some herbs and paprika were the perfect mix of flavors which made both my mouth and tummy very happy.
Let me know what toppings you would add to a loaded hummus and share your creations on social media with the hashtag #wholesomeandhungry!
- HUMMUS INGREDIENTS:
- 1.5 Cups of Canned Chickpeas (rinsed & towel dried)
- 1/4 Cup Water (Make sure water is COLD)
- 1.5 Tbsp Lemon Juice (1/2 a lemon)
- 2 Tbsp Tahini
- 1 Tbsp Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Cloves of Garlic
- 1/2 Tsp of Salt
- CRISPY BUFFALO CHICKPEA INGREDIENTS:
- 1 Cup of Canned Chickpeas (rinsed & towel dried)
- 1/4 Cup of Buffalo Sauce **
- 1/2 Tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Crushed Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- Rinse and towel dry 1.5 cans of chickpeas.
- Add chickpeas and additional hummus ingredients to a food processor.
- Blend on high until you get a thick/creamy like texture stopping to scrape the sides occasionally.
- If you want the hummus smoother, add another Tbsp of Tahini.
CRISPY BUFFALO CHICKPEAS
- Preheat oven to 375-400 degrees Fahrenheit (I do 400 to speed things up).
- Rinse and towel dry 1 can of chickpeas.
- Add chickpeas to an oven safe baking dish.
- Add buffalo sauce and spices to the dish and mix with the chickpeas thoroughly.
- Bake for 25 minutes, mixing half way through.
- Once baked, remove from baking dish and allow to cool.
- Spread hummus onto serving dish.
- Top with a small bed of finely shredded lettuce or cabbage.
- Add crispy buffalo chickpeas
- Add additional toppings (I used olives and capers)
- Sprinkle with additional smoked paprika and dill.
** Be sure to check the ingredients of your hot sauce - some may contain non-vegan products.
NOTE: Hummus recipe is based on the Garlic & Lemon recipe from Pick Up Limes.
Recipes are guidelines, not rule books. All recipes can be recreated or customized to fit your likes, your food tolerance, and your palette. If you see something in a recipe that you do not like or cannot eat, simply replace it with whatever works for you.
I do not provide nutritional information as this will always be based on the ingredients (and amount of ingredients) you include. In order to get the most accurate nutritional value, be sure to read labels and weigh each ingredient you use.
Porcelain Serving Platters Rectangular
Ninja Mega Kitchen System
Pepperwood Organic Stone-Ground Ethiopian Sesame Tahini Paste
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.